In this podcast, the Radio Free HPC team previews the ISC 2018 Student Cluster Competition.
“Now in its seventh year, the ISC-HPCAC Student Cluster Competition enables international STEM teams to take part in a real-time contest focused on advancing STEM disciplines and HPC skills development at ISC 2018 from June 25-27. To take home top honors, twelve teams will have the opportunity to showcase systems of their own design, adhering to strict power constraints and achieve the highest performance across a series of standard HPC benchmarks and applications.”
After that, Rich describes a number of ancillary events have been scheduled in Frankfurt.
Events in chronological order:
- HP-CAST will take place June 22-23 at the Frankfurt Marriott. HP-CAST is an organization of HPE customers and partners who provide input to HP to increase the capabilities of HP solutions for large-scale, scientific and technical computing.
- The Dell EMC HPC Community will get together for a half-day meeting on Sunday, June 24 at the Frankfurt Marriott.
- DDN User Group will be held on Monday, June 25 from 9:00am – 12:30am at the Movenpick Hotel.
- D-Wave Systems will host a seminar on Quantum Computing on Monday, June 25 starting at 2:00pm at the Frankfurt Marriott.
- Intel Special Session: Dr. Raj Hazra, Corporate Vice President at Intel, will discuss AI & HPC emerging technologies that will accelerate discovery and innovation at 6:00 pm Monday, June 25 in the Panarama 2 room at the Frankfurt Messe.
- The Hyperion Research Breakfast Briefing will take place on Tuesday, June 26 at 7:45am at the Grandhotel Hessischer Hof.
- Univa will host a Breakfast Seminar on Cloud HPC on Wednesday, June 27 at 8:00am at the Frankfurt Marriott.
- The Women in HPC network is running a half day workshop on Thursday, June 28.
After that, we do our Catch of the Week:
- Shahin points us to news about the National Quantum Initiative Act. NQI will be introduced by the U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. The hope is that NQI will ensure scientific leadership and economic and national security.
- Rich likes the demonstration of Posit Computing from the recent CoNGA Conference on Next Generation Arithmetic.
- Henry notes that Kaspersky is may get banned from government institutions in the European Union.
- Dan loves the story of the man from Kansas who managed to get his money back from the notorious Nigerian Prince scam.